Helping Automate Operations for the Italian HQ of Europe’s Leading Chimney System Manufacturer
Schiedel is the European leader in chimney systems for both homes and industrial/commercial/institutional buildings, manufactured at 23 production sites throughout Europe. From steel flues to ceramic chimneys and all points in between, Schiedel is known for quality and customer service, and boasts annual revenues of $255 million Euros (US$357 million).
Schiedel’s Italian headquarters in Truccazzano is one of the primary manufacturing sites for steel flues headed for the European market. Raw materials, semi-finished product and ready-to-install systems are stored both indoors at out at the facility, which employs about 200 people.
- Management proposed installing a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) system to aid in the automation of logistics and warehousing operations at the site.
- The solution provided by Psion is scalable to work with the rest of the Schiedel’s operations across Europe and interfaces seamlessly with the Microsoft Navision ERP management software solution the Schiedel team preferred.
- Each item at the Truccazzano site has an RFID tag that carries a unique, serialized identification code readable via radio waves. The 7535 handheld computers are used to scan these tags and upload the information to the Navision servers in real time.
- Schiedel selected Psion based on the company’s experience with setting up complex RFID systems and the features offered by its 7535 mobile handheld computers.
- Competitive pricing offered by Psion for the project and the company’s presence across Europe and around the world sealed the deal.
- Improved inventory tracking and accuracy.
- Increased productivity and profitability.