NASCAR’s Premier Series Benefits from RFID Solution
Goodyear is the world’s largest tire company. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, the company manufactures tires, engineered rubber products and chemicals in more than 90 facilities in 28 countries. It has marketing operations in almost every country around the world and employs about 80,000.
“We’re excited to be working with Psion on our RFID tracking solution, which is the first deployment of its kind in the racing industry. The Psion 7535 with RD7950 UHF RFID Reader provides us with the ideal ruggedness and durability needed to handle logistics and accomplish our tire leasing goals on the NASCAR circuit.” — Greg Stucker, Director of Race Tire Sales and Marketing, Goodyear
- Goodyear wanted to better track and manage its tires at three NASCAR top series
- It needed to track and manage approximately 2,000 tires from manufacturing through distribution to the teams, and then to the final disposal of the tires after each race – ensuring maximum speed and accuracy
- Goodyear deployed Psion 7535 handheld computers with a RD7950 UHF RFID Reader and a software application from CTI
- The tires are equipped with RFID tags and scanned when distributed to and retrieved from race teams, providing full asset visibility from manufacturing through to the end of each race
- All tires are tracked with maximum speed and accuracy, enabling tires to be returned at the end of each race in about an hour.
- Better tire access control contributes to greater customer satisfaction of NASCAR
- Shift downtime is avoided as the 7535 handheld computers are rugged enough to handle the rough, outdoor NASCAR environment