A Complete End-to-End Mobile Computing Solution
“…Psion is the only one that could meet our needs from start to finish: pre-sale, installation and after-sales service, the site study for the design and installation of the wireless network, the configuration of the equipment, training, troubleshooting, replacement of failed equipment. They are also at the forefront of new innovations, such as voice picking, which gives them the edge over the competition.” — Christophe Chapet, Manager of Logistics, Lapeyre
The Lapeyre group of brands offers a range of over 10,000 different products for the home. Kitchen furniture, cabinets, sinks and faucets. Appliances. Bathroom fixtures, tiles and accessories. Interior doors and partitions. Wall treatments and flooring. Staircases. Windows and doors. Paving. Security systems. A favorite among the do-it-yourself crowd, Lapeyre has 350 retail outlets and a dozen manufacturing sites in France, with annual revenues of 1.7 billion Euros (US$2.3 billion).
- Lapeyre’s manufacturing facilities produce almost 70% of its entire product line without intermediary involvement. Each site specializes in a product family—doors, for example, in one location and stairs in another—and most products are custom-made.
- The complexity of coordinating sales, manufacturing, transportation and installation as the company grew required a reorganization of the supply chain and a new mobile computing solution.
- The new solution needed to be on a secure radio infrastructure with centralized deployment at each site to allow maintenance, administration and supervision was required.
- Because some of the sites have outdoor storage areas as large as eight hectares, narrowband radio technology was selected to provide secure coverage and high service quality, even in difficult weather conditions.
- Psion was the only supplier Lapeyre identified that could offer the narrowband technology.
- Eight of the twelve Lapeyre sites are equipped with Psion 7535 handheld computers, as well as the ultra-rugged 7530 handheld computers and 8525 vehicle mount computers mounted on forklifts and storage racks.
- All are connected to the central server via secure WiFi networks at each location and are capable of emulating Lapeyre’s inventory management software platform.
- The user friendly mobile computers result in increased productivity during peak periods of activity such as fulfilling orders resulting from in-store promotions.
- The rugged mobile computers are designed to handle tough environments like the Lapeyre manufacturing sites.
- Psion's solution meets Lapeyre’s needs from start to finish: pre-sale, installation and after-sales service, the site study for the design and installation of the wireless network, the configuration of the equipment, training, troubleshooting, replacement of failed equipment.